Monday, April 30, 2012

First MRI....

While sitting waiting for them to finish the MRI today I was counting....how many times have my 3 daughters been put under sedation?  I think the final answer is 10.  10!  That's crazy.  But today was hard- it was our longest procedure.  Which only reminded me how long surgery day will be.

Mallory and I got there at 7am.  No food for either us (boo!).  They asked about medication and I explained that she takes none.  We finished an antibiotic on Thursday for an ear infection but other than that nothing.  The anesthesiologist (sp??) came in and asked the same.  She was a little worried about Mallory's runny nose but when they listened to her lungs they were clear- so it was a go.

What was supposed to be a 45 minute procedure turned into a 1.5 hour one.  Thankfully, I had the drama of the others in the waiting room to keep me focused!!   They called for me to come back.  The nurse bringing me back said "She is so cute.  She is sitting there smile at us."  Yup!  That's Mallory.  That is just who she is.  Such a doll baby.

I had a long talk with the anesthesiologist.  Turns out, she had some difficulty breathing.  She needed a breathing tube and they ended up changing it once because there was so much mucus.  The doctor said she was definitely sick- lots of green mucus- and that we needed to focus on getting her healthy before the surgery 3 weeks from now.

Which leads us to the next decision.  We took her out of daycare.  Friday was her last day.  Thanks to fabulous grandparents we are able to do this.  Surgery is scary enough- we don't need the added stress of a sick child.

Another big decision today....we told the older girls about the surgery.  Over the next few weeks, we have quite a few people helping us out and we will be in and out of different places.  I wanted the girls to understand why things are changing.  Lauren had a hard time....it hurts her to know Mallory will be hurting.  Which in turn, hurts me :(  May is going to be tough.  I hope the next month moves very quickly.

Tomorrow, one of our fabulous donors is giving blood for the surgery.  Thanks again to the RED CROSS for organizing this.  Then, we are ready.   Well, once Mallory is healthy.  I guess the doctor was right.  She IS sick.  Tonight she is running a 101.4 fever.  Glad we took her out of school!  I apologize to anyone coming over...you will be sanitizing before entering!!

I am ending this post with a quote I found another website:
    Approximately 216,000 babies are born every day in the world
    There are 24 hours in a day = 9,000 babies born hourly

    2,000 are born affected with Craniosynostosis
    In a 24 hour period, 108 babies could be born with Craniosynostosis
    Approximately 5 babies are born hourly with Craniosynostosis

    How is it that I don't know more about this condition?


Damn........I knew I should have pushed one more hour during labor.  She may have been one of the 103 if I kept going.

1 comment:

  1. I am thinking about you and little Mallory. I know that May will be a very tough month, but I hope that it goes quickly for all of you! I hope that Mallory has a wonderful first birthday - we all miss you at Washam! It just isn't the same.

    Allison Ouellette

    ReplyDelete