Sunday, April 8, 2012

Ok......where was I?

First, let me start off by saying I am writing this post outside while enjoying a Bloody Mary on this gorgeous Easter day!  Happy Easter everyone!!

Ok, where was I?  The day after we received the diagnosis I was in a complete fog.  I couldn't focus on anything at work.  I am such a planner- in all aspects of my life- so my mind was just reeling.  The problem is so much of this situation is out of my control.  Maybe this experience will make me a better person- teach me to relinquish some control.  Well, that night, about 7pm,  Kit's phone rang.  I could hear our surgeon tell him "Hello."  She was wrong I thought!  She looked at the scan again and she doesn't need surgery after all.  Umm- nope.  The neurosurgeon looked at the scan.  He found a small cyst in her brain that she missed.  Oh-great!  Thanks...anything else you want to throw at us today?
Good news is these cysts are quite common and are benign (think ovarian cyst, ladies) but since they did in fact find it and she is a child they want a baseline of the cyst so they can monitor it.  We have an MRI scheduled for later this month.

The following day we heard back from the lab- neither of us are a match for her blood type.  While donor blood is perfectly fine and are more than happy to use it, we did decide to first reach out to our immediate family to find a donor.   We are so thankful to everyone for getting tested and looking into this for us.  And we are extremely grateful for two of our family members who are matches and agreed to donate for us in case Mallory needs a transfusion during the surgery.  Thank you, thank you, thank you- you know who you are :)   And I also plan on thanking the Red Cross with some kind of donation- they completely organize the blood donations and ship it many miles for us.

So now, we wait.  We are more than thankful for the prayers, cards, kind words, and offers for help we have already received from family and friends who know about the surgery.    You will all be what gets us through this- that I am sure.

Our Disney trip last week came at a perfect time.  We were way to busy for me to dwell on the upcoming surgery.  This next month is extremely busy for us so hopefully it will help to keep me focused on other things.

I will keep you all posted as things progress and get closer.

Again, Happy Easter from Mallory and the rest of the Anderson Family!

No comments:

Post a Comment