Sunday, May 27, 2012

We're Home!!

We got the go ahead Sunday morning (4 days post-op) to go home.  So exciting! One of the doctors came and changed Mallory's dressing and put her in the helmet.  He explained how to change her dressing every morning with antiseptic strips and gauze over that.  We will probably have to do that for about 2 weeks.  She will be in the helmet for 3 months until the bones are in place properly.  There are dissolvable plates holding everything together.  They will dissolve in 12-18 months.  Amazing, isn't it?  We signed all the papers, got our prescriptions and we were home by 10:30 am.  Overall, it was a great day- she took a 3 hour nap and is taking only regular Tylenol for the pain.  I know she was thrilled to be out of a crib and moving around.


As for the rest of her recovery- we will be resting at home for the next 1.5 weeks.....just the two of us while everyone is at work and school.  She will wear the protective helmet to keep her head safe.  We will be going for follow-up appointments at 10 days, 6 weeks, 6 months, 12 months and every year after that until she is a teenager.

This has hands-down been the worst week of my life.  But I can honestly say that the anticipation was so much worse.  Everything went extremely well- better than can be expected.  An amazing friend of mine was shocked by how quickly Mallory bounced back from all of this.  She explained that Mallory was "her hero".  Since then, I cannot get the word hero out of my head.  I have SO many heroes after this week.  To name a few:

Mallory- first and foremost......She has been a champ.  Way better than I would be!   Well, better than I have been after my own surgeries!!

Dr. Lisa David of WFBH- Plastic Surgery -  She is amazing!  My child's life was in her hands and she "walked" away 4 days later........what more can I say?

Lauren - my cousin who so willingly donated blood because Kit and I were unable to.  Mallory did in fact need a transfusion during the surgery and we are so thankful for your donation.  I love you!

Our parents- as I said in an earlier post this surgery was more stressful because of the two that I had home.  All 4 of her grandparents were so helpful and completely took over the care of Kaitlyn and Lauren.  It helped so much to know that they were taken of.

Kaitlyn and Lauren- my 2 oldest sweeties were so good during this time.  It was hard for them to see Mallory and I go for 4 days but from what I hear they were great!!

Kit- the little things you did for me meant more than you know.  Seeing you with Mallory and the love that you feel for her remind me why I fell in love with you in the first place.

Friends and family- so many of you have gone above and beyond during this time.  Thank you so much!!  We could not have gotten through this without you.

I am sure I may have a post here and there as time goes on simply to finish up on this Cranio journey.  But for now, you are up-to-date.  I kind of like this blog thing though......

Hhmmm.....maybe Working Mom Stays Home with 3 Kids Over the Summer?   More of a comedy than the drama genre.

Stay tuned!!!!!!



1 comment:

  1. She looks great Kim. I love the pink helmet! You should bling it out:). Sorry you have had to go through all of this...but it sounds like you have had a great support system and have stayed strong. Hang in there! Mallory is one lucky girl to have such amazing parents!

    ReplyDelete